Making the driveway to the house
The entrance to the house, despite all its functional limitations, is as important an object from an aesthetic point of view as any flower garden. After all, the private "roadway" from the gate to the house is not just a necessity, but also a part of the image of the garden, affecting its perception by the owners, their guests, and just passers-by. In order to turn a simple staircase into an attractive corner that fits into the garden, you don’t need to use any special tricks: a simple design, sustained in the spirit of the general concept, will make it a real highlight of the garden - boring, original and colorful.
Greening access roads - a fun solution for boring objects
Regardless of how exactly you arranged the entrance to the house or garage on your site - just in the form of a concrete platform, a paved wide walkway, with or without a divider and lawn inserts - it always seems a boring, flat and obligatory element, inferior in all respects to the front garden and decorative garden compositions.
The entrances are different: open or partially hidden behind the hedges, running parallel to the fence or hedges or almost in the middle of one of the sides of the site, long or very short. Their main characteristics are a solid foundation, wear resistance and durability. But mandatory and practical - not always ugly.
And it’s not only that the access road can be paved with a variety of concrete blocks, and in part - even planted with a lawn on top of a solid foundation. And not that the options for laying or using fashionable colored concrete will help to make the staircase more individual. Indeed, the fact that heavy cars are moving along this “track” does not interfere with greening the zone. And do not count the options for arrangement - from simple and modest to almost unrecognizable transformation.
True, it should immediately be clarified that it is not the entrance itself that needs planting greenery, but the adjacent territories. Usually - “lateral” soil strips, narrow residual tapes that can be considered as a ribbon flower bed or a discount. In fact, the plants make out the sides of the entrance leading from the gate to the house or garage - or its “side”. In this case, in the design options, regardless of the style and size of the site, all gardeners are limited to purely technical requirements:
- Plants growing on the sides should not interfere with the passage of the car, free movement, which means they should not be spreading and ragged, their crown, even at a height of 2 meters, should not hang over the entrance;
- You can not use aggressive crops, especially from the category of vines and groundcover, prone to uncontrolled creeping of shoots;
- All crops that are used in landscaping the driveway should be gas and wind resistant, not afraid of pollution;
- It is better to use plants that do not require special care and are not afraid of close proximity.
You need to think about landscaping the entrance even when one of the sides is adjacent to lush hedges. Without additional design, the driveway will always look flat, open and completely unattractive. And the only tools with which you can fix the situation - the colors and greens of plants. And in the design of the porches it is better to use all categories of garden crops:
- tree or shrubs that balance the porch and compensate for its “plane”, connect this object with the building and the main garden, give the design expressiveness;
- herbaceous perennials - hardy, creating magnificent ensembles for many years;
- seasonal accents are not necessarily annual, but planted at a rate for a certain season, which will make the entrance attractive all year round.
But choosing the right plants is a task that is not so defining as their use. When arranging the entrances with the help of hardy and colorful plants, you need to create a bright frame that seems to solemnly "enclose" the roadway in the arms of the garden. Entrance landscaping has its own rules and features:
- In the design you need to actively use the verticals, play with them, create expressive, elongated ensembles on both sides of the entrance. The height of the crops is very important: if you surround the flat entrance to the house with the same flat discount, you cannot achieve improvement of the situation with paints alone. Landscaping should actually compensate for the absolute evenness of the entrance itself, to counterbalance the large empty area. To achieve this effect, you can use:
- tall shrubs;
- creepers on supports.
- Immediately determine how isolated you want to make the staircase, the degree of overlap of the panorama by the planted plants. The best option is to place large plants in such a way that an illusion of separation from the rest of the site is created, but not complete, but just light. From the entrance you should see the house, garden landscapes, in the plant line you can leave slots, plant vertical accents at a considerable distance. Even if you erect a pergola around the entrance on one side, you should not do a solid green wall. The balance of tall and low plants should be approximately 50/50.
- Linking the porch to the rest of the garden is the most important gardening task. Thanks to compositions from flowering and ornamental plants, a simple and boring road should turn into a colorful path that seems to anticipate a garden show. And to achieve this, you need to immediately impress, do not forget to take into account the architecture of the house in the design, the motives of the arrangement already used in the garden. The design of the staircase should correspond to the style and color concept of the garden as a whole and especially the front garden. At least half of the plants that you will use must be found in the garden in other facilities. And it’s better to use a typical set of plants. After all, you can experiment simply with new varieties. Pay special attention to color: it will be good if you use strong, “explosive” paints in the plants at the entrance to the house, which immediately make it clear which colors dominate garden gardens.
- The more expressive the ensembles themselves at the entrance, the better. Do not be afraid to emphasize tall plants low, lush - slender, large-leaved - small-leaved. Feel free to play on texture and color, use unusual combinations: the risk in the design of driveways is always justified.
- Allocate as much soil as you can afford for landscaping the driveway, but within reasonable limits. In order to create a colorful frame, a very narrow strip of soil is enough. If the entrance is adjacent to a flower garden or a front garden, a hedge or other decorative objects, just separate at least a 40-60-centimeter strip of soil along the edge. For a beautiful alley, a meter long strip of soil is enough. Yes, and if your staircase "rests" sideways on the fence, you can always come up with an original solution: potting and crops that can be satisfied with a minimum of soil will help to emphasize. They can be planted literally in the gap between the stones (from stonecrops to stumps, thyme, saxifrages).
Three main options that will help turn the porch into a colorful miracle
Blooming alley - emphasizing the shape and purpose of the driveway design, betting on wood with a colorful retinue. It is enough to place slender decorative trees in a row with large gaps and add them with a “flat” flower garden with bright seasonal plants and several perennials that create the design base. Plants are selected so that flowering practically does not fade.
Pergola around the perimeter and colorful climbers. Thanks to the construction along the additional structure, the staircase will not yield to any garden gazebo and will turn into a secluded, cozy and surprisingly chamber area, without losing its significance. At the same time, the pergola can be replaced by equal in meaning, but less labor-intensive in construction wooden lattices or supports for climbers - objects of small architecture, which will also serve as the basis for colorful garden vines.
In order for the pergola to become a spectacular element of small architecture and a special decoration of the entrance, do not be afraid to use 3-4 different vines and plant as lush and lush, voluminous thickets of perennials under them as possible. And to give expressiveness, just place accents with evergreens or topiary.
Hedgerow on both sides. This method of landscaping will help to visually separate the entrance from the garden, without losing touch with it, and surround it with colorful flowering ribbons that set the tone for staying in the garden from the first meters. The main requirement for such a hedge is that it must combine the first row of perennials with a base of shrubs so as to create the most expressive ensembles with a variegated texture and colors.
Plants for decorating house entrances
The main stars of the design of driveways, hedges or flower beds under pergolas and supports with vines are shrubs and tree trees. Tall, lush, voluminous, it is they who connect the driveway to the garden and give it expressiveness and harmony. Their functions are very important. And the choice is more than great. The main favorites among the trees are decorative apple trees and plums, cherries and woody forms of white derene. A luxurious setting can be created from Japanese cherry - the legendary sakura. And strict accents are easy to make with elm, cypress, or columnar arborvitae. If you prefer a climber on supports, then you can safely mix climbing roses, clematis, wisteria, honeysuckle in the design.
For lush flower ensembles and variations on the theme of hedges, shrubs such as:
- gray rose;
- buddley of David.
On the flower beds, completely different shrubberies will help to supplement perennials - more modest in size Japanese quince, action, spirea and colorful barberries, as well as boxwood, which always add festive solemnity.
The choice of perennials is perhaps the most difficult. After all, so many plants can successfully fit into the design! Their choice varies depending on the style, color concept, tastes, and is almost as varied as for a conventional flower garden. But there are also unconditional stars that will not fail in the landscaping of the porches:
- all garden geraniums;
- Byzantine Cleanse;
- oriental poppy;
- tulips, etc.